Here’s your challenge:
- Pick a colleague or business owner you know in your city or town
- Send them a text or an email and invite them out to lunch
- Use the lunch conversation as an opportunity to practice focusing the conversation on learning about their industry and answering their questions about what you do
(Pro Tip: Bring a notepad with you and take notes. It’s always a good idea to write down the questions that people ask you.)
You are the sum of your network. So spend time with your network, actively nurturing those connections.
When you see them, ask them about how they’re doing:
- What are they up to in life?
- What book have they read recently that stuck with them? Why does it stand out?
- What’s new in business?
- What projects are they working on?
- What’s the ‘hot topic’ or ‘new goodness’ in their industry?
And, in turn, answer their questions for you about what you’re up to and what’s new with you.
(Pro Tip: These conversations are a great way to practice saying out loud with type of clients you work with, what outcomes you help with, and what problems you solve)
Alright, now it’s time for you to take action.
First, pick someone. Look on LinkedIn, in your phone, on Twitter, or at your past clients. Who do you want to learn more about today?
Second, send just one person a text and invite them out to lunch this week.