They were a dream lead for my business.
We met and I told them the first steps of working together: a paid Roadmapping Session. We’d talk about their goals for their website, how they were dissatisfied with their current site, and what new features they wanted.
Payment awaited me at their office.
I was ecstatic. I’d sold a Roadmapping Session. I was making the move from Contractor to Consultant.
I get an email from them the day of the meeting. They were letting me know:
- They needed to cancel the meeting
- They had no cash on hand as a business
- They would be unable to afford the roadmap and might be going out of business
I was (again!) ecstatic. Why? Because I hadn’t spent time writing a proposal only to then find out they couldn’t afford the project.
I saved hours of work by saying:
The first step in working together is a Roadmapping Session
Roadmapping Sessions protect you from what would otherwise be business horror stories.
I know too many freelancers who tell variations in jazz of the same story:
- They found a great lead
- The proposal was approved
- Payments were set at milestones
- …and then the client ghosts and the freelancer is left holding the bag
Save your time, energy, and attention for people who are paying you.
Roadmapping Sessions protect you from bad-fit leads, ghosting clients, and all manner of other client horror stories: https://kaidavis.com/roadmapping/