Indie Consultants (And Freelancers): Get answers to your most pressing marketing and lead generation questions
A 1-on-1 Marketing Clarity Call will give you specific, actionable, personalized advice, answering your most pressing questions on how to market your business and fill your pipeline.
In short: You come with questions, I give you answers.
Get actionable advice from an indie consultant who has been there
"I always seem to convince myself through stubbornness and/or ego that I can correct course on my own with 'just a little more hard work'"
Those are the exact words a freelancer (who paid for a Marketing Clarity Call) said to describe their current situation. They had been spinning their wheels for months on an important marketing decision for their business. In our call, we were able to identify the specific steps for them to take to solve the problem, grow their business, and fill their pipeline.
Often all it takes is to talk to the right person at the right time.
Put the analysis paralysis behind you and get actionable, specific advice on exactly what to do next for you, your marketing, and your business. Book a live 1-on-1 Marketing Clarity Call call today and get the answers you're looking for.
Imagine knowing exactly what to do next
Imagine having someone who has been in your shoes as an independent business owner, a freelancer, and a consultant, that you can bounce ideas off of and who can help shake you loose when you're locked up in decision paralysis.
Like many entrepreneurs, you may feel overwhelmed and unsure because the overall plan isn't perfect in your head.
Imagine having the influence and advice of a trusted peer to help you (and your business) realize your full potential.
Imagine knowing what to do next with specific, actionable, personalized advice and answers to your most pressing questions.
Here’s How It Works
Book a 1-on-1 Marketing Clarity Call and get your questions answered.
Before the call, you'll share your biggest business or marketing challenges and questions with me through Business Health Analysis, a detailed assessment that lets me learn about your business, your challenges, and how I can help the most.
On your call, we'll dive into your business and answer your pressing questions.
You'll get answers to your questions and actionable advice for your current situation.
"What if I don't know what question to ask?"
Video calls include The Business Health Analysis precall assessment.
The Business Health Analysis is a detailed assessment that will help you start thinking critically about your business and your marketing and identify the questions on your mind.
The Business Health Analysis helps me learn about you and your business so I can understand where I can help you the most.
There was so much I wanted to cover, including things that had cropped up after I’d answered the precall assessment.
I needn’t have worried! Kai made certain to structure and steer the call in order to cover everything I’d hoped to talk to him about (and more!)
I came out of the call with a great sense of clarity!
— Elise Fog, Marketing Consultant & Shopify Consultant, It Must Bee
These are topics and questions that stand out from my notes from my last ~dozen Marketing Clarity Calls:
- Growth — "What should I work on to get to $140,000 in revenue in a year?"
- Lead Generation —"I want to write a book. I also need clients soon. How do I do both?"
- Market Research — "How do I research a new target market?"
- Marketing — "I need a game plan for marketing myself as a consultant. What should I work on in the next 3 months?"
- Optimization — "I'm booked solid and need to find time to work on my business. What should I do?"
- Outreach — "Can you read these outreach emails and help me make them better?"
- Podcast Tours — How do I run my own Podcast Tour?
- Positioning — "Does my positioning make sense? What should I change about it? How can I refine it?"
- Sales — "Can you review this proposal and give me feedback?"
After a call you'll leave with:
- Direction on what to work on next, so you avoid getting stuck
- Specific feedback on your business (from The Business Health Analysis)
- Steps to take to reach the marketing and growth goals you want to hit in the coming 12-months
And, of course: direct advice on how to improve your marketing, what to start with, what to measure, and how you'll know if things are working.
Your video call will also be recorded and shared with you for you to reference whenever you need.
On the call, you'll receive practical “do this specific thing next” advice gained from 12,000+ hours of work as an independent consultant and 4,000+ hours of work coaching dozens of freelancers and consultants just like you.
"Who is this person talking to me?"
I’m Kai Davis and I teach freelancers and consultants how to market themselves with confidence and fill their pipeline with profitable leads.
I’ve been a Marketing Consultant for the last decade+ and a Business Coach for the last 5+ years.
Along the way, I've:
- Given talks at sold-out conferences on two continents
- Written 6+ books and created many courses on marketing for freelancers and consultants
- Written a daily letter for indie consultants with actionable advice on how to build marketing habits that fill your pipeline with leads
- Hosted multiple podcasts (Make Money Online, Get More Leads, The Freelancers' Show) about running, marketing, and growing an independent consulting business
- Been interviewed for my thoughts on what it takes to grow and market a successful indie consulting business on 85+ podcasts.
- Coached over 400 freelancers and indie consultants in group settings and 1-on-1 on how to market and grow their business
Questions? You can always email me (Kai) directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
— Kai Davis
Questions, asked with some frequency
"I don’t think I need help"
Everyone needs help.
I frequently invest in 1-off calls, mentoring, coaching, and products that help me be a better consultant, a better marketer, and a better freelancer.
You might not think you need help right now — but let me ask you this:
- Why would someone hire a maid when they could just clean their home themselves?
- Why would someone pay a barber when they could just cut their hair themselves?
- Why would someone pay a mechanic to repair their car when they could just learn how to do it online?
- Why would someone hire a landscaper when they could mow their own lawn and rake their own leaves?
- Why would someone pay an accountant to file their taxes?
The ultimate answer to all of these is:
Because they have more money than time.
If you don't recognize the value of professional assistance, I will be unable to help you.
"What are your strengths in helping freelancers and consultants with their business?"
Marketing and growth.
I'm a marketer by trade with over 15 years of professional experience. I think of myself as a marketer first and a business coach third.
When we work together, I focus on understanding your current situation, the outcomes you're looking for, and your unique constraints.
From there, we work together to define a realistic plan to get you from where you are to where you want to be.
"What makes you qualified to tell me about my business?"
I've worked as a freelancer, contractor, and indie consultant for 14+ years. I have hard-won, real-world, first-hand experience in what it takes to move from contractor to freelancer and from freelancer to indie consultant.
When we work together, you're tapping into:
- My years of experience working as an independent consultant
- My background as a marketer and business-person
- My self-study and education, giving you access to everything I've learned studying how to be a better freelancer, indie consultant, and business owner
If you're looking at a problem or question in your business, chances are, I've been there, and can offer a perspective on different approaches.
"Do you work with people just starting out as a freelancer?"
Some of my clients have just been starting to work as a freelancer or consultant or working on switching from being a 'full-time freelancer' for a single client to having a portfolio full of clients.
I can help you identify the specific next steps to take to go from full-time employee or part-time freelancer to full-time freelancer or consultant.
"Are Marketing Clarity Calls 100% effective?"
You get out what you put in.
- If you implement the advice you receive 100%, you’ll get back 150% in results
- If you give it an 80% effort, you’ll get back 50% in results
Think of these as the “100/150 Rule” and the “80/50 Rule” respectively.
In other words — you will get a very poor pay-out if you don’t go 100% on the advice you receive.
My job is to help you identify the lowest effort and the highest impact things to focus on.
I'll provide direction, answers to your questions, help you develop a plan, and remind you to do the work.
You, my friend? You still have to do the work.
"Is this a magic bullet? Will my business be transformed?"
There are no magic bullets.
Marketing Clarity Calls are wonderful for providing you with:
- Homework. You'll have specific next-steps to take to work on your business.
- Direction and a Plan. You'll get specific, personalized direction and feel secure in having a plan of what to work on next.
- Answers. I don't have all the answers, but I have some. Bring your questions and you'll get answers and direction on where to look for answers.
"Who is this not right for?"
Marketing Clarity Calls are absolutely not a good fit if:
- You want to see changes immediately
- You don't have an investment mindset
- The idea of working towards a goal over time makes you feel icky
- You don't have the time (~4-hours/week) to invest in working on your business
- You're more interested in the latest marketing/startup/business fad than you are building a durable, sustainable business
"What happens after I pay?"
Once you submit your payment and schedule a time for us to talk, I'll send you an email with your copy of The Business Health Analysis to complete and return.
"Are there any other costs?"
No. I might recommend a few books or pieces of technology that you can optionally invest in. There are no hidden fees or additional costs.
"I’m worried about sharing my business details"
Don’t be worried.
I keep everything you share in strictest confidence. No specific or identifying details about you or your business will be shared with anyone.
"Can my business partner be on the call too?"
No. Calls are strictly 1-on-1.
You are free to bring a list of their questions with you to ask on the call or share the recording of the call with them after the fact. The calls will only consist of two people: you and me.
"How long before I see results?"
If you’re committed about investing in yourself and have time regularly scheduled during the week to work on your business, then you could see results in as little as a few weeks.
But I don’t know you, how you work, or how you treat your business. If you don’t put in the necessary time, you won’t see the outcomes you’re looking for. Just like a gym membership.
"Do you offer refunds?"
No, refunds are not offered for calls.
Availability is Limited
I’m only available for a limited number of Marketing Clarity Calls each month. Scheduling is first come, first served.
The sooner you book your call, the sooner you’ll have the answers you need to improve your marketing and your business to the next level.
"I’ve managed to more than 4.5x the amount of monthly income I was receiving before our call"
I had to drop you an email to let you know - since we had the coaching call last year, I’ve completely revamped my retainer services. In fact, I’ve actually CREATED some new retainer services (what I call Design Partnerships).
I’ve not even fully launched them yet, but I’ve managed to more than 4.5x the amount of monthly income I was receiving before our call - by adding only 2 extra monthly partnership clients into the mix!
THANK YOU for this - I have no idea why I resisted retainer style work for so long in my business, but it’s been a complete game changer for me.
I’m now hoping to grow my design partnerships post-launch to at least 10x what my original amount was, and potentially even more.
— Rachel Shillcock, Founder & Designer, Rachilli