Screen your prospects with a Lead Form — and keep the monsters out of your inbox
You're spending too much time with bad-fit 'monster' clients
When a prospect contacts you, what happens?
- Do you have a defined set of questions that you ask?
- Do you screen for fit before you get on that first call?
- Do you set expectations with them on when your availability might be?
If you're like most consultants, your business is hurting because you don't have a defined client application process.
When someone contacts you, you need to remember what to do:
- What questions to ask to make sure they're a good fit
- What email templates to send them
- What links to send them to book a call
It's annoying and it's painful. It's taking up your time and it doesn't need to anymore.
Why Doctors Have Intake Forms
Think about the last time that you went to the doctors.
Did you get right in and see them immediately?
You probably had to:
- Contact them
- Make an appointment
- Show up
- Receive in Intake Packet
- Fill out a bunch of paperwork that explains why you're there and the outcome you're looking for
Then, once you did that, the doctor would see you.
In your meeting, the Doctor would reference the information you had provided in order to quickly and accurately diagnose if they could help you.
Because you had completed an intake process — filled out an application form — you saved yourself time and the doctor's time
By answering the doctor's questions ahead of time in a way that the doctor could easily reference, you let the doctor easily assess if (and how) they could help.
Imagine if in your first meeting the doctor had to ask you every single question that was on their intake form.
One by one.
And you to answer them before they could get started.
That would take forever.
(But that's what most of us do in an initial call with a prospect)
Instead, by using a Lead Form, you can easily ask (and have your prospect answer) the most important questions before you meet with them.
Then, you can review their answers and decide if (or how) you can best help.
And if you can't help, you'll immediately know and be able to direct them elsewhere.
Why Consultants Should Have Lead Forms
You, as a freelancer or consultant, should learn from how Doctors operate.
By setting up a process in your business by which you have people tell you about their business and apply to work with you, you control how they start their relationship with you.
You're defining a process.
First, fill out this application. Then, schedule a time to together.
This way, you get the chance to review their answers beforehand and see if they're a good match for you. You can understand what pains and problems they're experiencing, so you can prepare for the meeting.
By implementing a Lead Form for your business and having prospects apply to work with you, you'll save time (both yours and the prospects) and be able to screen for fit before you even have that first call, saving even more time.
I know one consultant who has set up their application form such that if the lead doesn't meet their criteria, the lead is sent an automatic email saying:
Thanks so much for telling me about your business. Based on the information your shared, I do not believe I will be able to help you. Instead, I recommend:
This way, they save themselves time and provide a valuable service — a referral — to the bad-fit prospects.
The Three Reasons You Don't Have A Good Lead Form Yet
You don't know:
- What software to use for your Lead Form
- What questions to ask to screen your prospects on your Lead Form
- What should happen when someone fills out your Lead Form
That's why you don't have an application form yet. And that's what "Quick Start Lead Forms" will help you get started.
How to have your prospects tell you exactly what service they want to hire you for
With Quick Start Lead Forms you'll get a video training package that shows you how to set up a Lead Form for your website and business.
When a client wants to work with you, they'll be able to fill out your Lead Form on your website, apply to work with you, and share information with you about their business.
From there, you can review their application and reply back with any questions that you have.
Or send them a link to schedule a call.
Or let them know that they aren't a fit, saving you time.
In Quick Start Lead Forms, you'll learn exactly how to set up a Lead Form for your business.
What if you didn't have to deal with bad-fit clients anymore?
Let me tell you a story about my friend Trevor.
Trevor has a client application form in place. Everyone he works with fills it out before they get on a call together. It collects all the relevant information that Trevor needs to make a first-pass, gut-level check on if they're a fit or not.
A few weeks ago, someone applied to work with him. The application wasn't complete and left out details or wrote in "N/A" for some easy to answer questions (like "Describe the product that you sell?").
Trevor immediately decided to turn down this client. All the warning signs were there from a single email. The prospect communicated how they viewed Trevor in this relationship — as a commodity service provider — and that showed in their responses.
But then he had a change of heart. He thought "Talking to them will help me better understand my target market. This is a research opportunity."
Props to Trevor. It is an opportunity to learn, not to sell.
So they scheduled a time to talk and then the prospect no-showed the meeting.
Just like that, Trevor saw the value of having everyone go through a standard application system.
He was instantly able to know that this prospect was a bad fit. Now, with that lesson in mind, he would follow his initial feelings on the prospect when reviewing their application.
Trevor doesn't work with bad-fit clients anymore. In fact, thanks to his client application process, he turns down 60% of the people who apply to work with him before getting on a phone call with them, because he's able to understand what they're looking for, what help they need, and if they're the right fit to work with him.
Build Your Dream Client Application
Would you like this experience?
- Prospects who want to work with you fill out a Lead Form to tell you about their business
- You're automatically sent an email with information about their business
- The prospect is automatically sent an email with additional questions or instructions on the next steps
With Quick Start Lead Forms, you'll have learn how to set up this system for your business.
What's included in Quick Start Lead Forms
In Quick Start Lead Forms you'll receive a pair of videos walking you through the key elements of a client application for your business, along with two bonus guides and the complete Complete Intake Cheat Sheet package. You'll learn:
- What a client application system looks like
- 3 different tools you can use for your client application form
- 18 different questions you can ask on an application form
- What consultants include on their notification/confirmation page after the prospect applies
- How independent consultants and agencies set up their client application forms
- What "Qualifying Questions" to ask, like “Do you have a budget?” or “How can I help?”
- What "Personal Information" to ask, like “What’s your name?” or “What’s your phone number?”
- How to have your prospects tell you exactly what service they want to hire you for
- What to say in your notification messages to get prospects talking
And, you'll receive additional videos reviewing application forms from a selection of consultants, including:
- Nick Disabato
- Kurt Elster
- My own application form
And the price? $39.
Wait, I have questions
Couldn't I do this myself?
Yes, you absolutely could. And if you do, I recommend you purchase a copy of Quick Start Lead Forms to review and save you time.
If you're a busy business owner, do you have the 4-8+ hours it will take you to learn everything and then implement it yourself?
- Picking a piece of software and verifying it will work for your business (1 hour)
- Figuring out what questions to ask (2 hours)
- Configuring your application software (1 hour)
- Testing your application software (1 hour)
- Writing the notification emails for you and your prospect... (1 hour)
and much, much more.
In Quick Start Lead Forms you'll have all of this broken down for you, along with questions and information to copy, customize, and use in your client application.
Ready to get started?
Click the button below to order Quick Start Lead Forms.
Once you order, you'll be directed to a short questionnaire and then receive more information over email.