As an indie consultant (or freelancer), how do you get better at writing copy? (e.g., proposals, marketing emails, marketing pages, sales pages, web copy)
You get better at writing copy by falling in love with the process of writing copy.
As with everything in life, there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch. In the end, the only thing that makes you better at writing copy is practicing writing copy. Full stop.
Just like when you’re learning a musical instrument, you need to set aside intentional time to practice. Make your practice time a regular, recurring time, ~30-60 minutes long, a few times a week. If you can make this a daily time, even better.
But! There’s another tip here that’s simple, obvious, and often goes unsaid: if you want to get better at writing a specific type of copy, you want to focus most of your efforts on practicing writing that kind of copy, not all types of copy:
- If you want to write better marketing or outreach emails, you need to practice writing emails
- If you want to write better articles/blog posts, you need to practice writing articles/blog posts.
- If you want to write better sales pages for your productized services, you need to practice writing sales pages
Most likely, you don’t need to get better at writing all types of copy today.
In the short/medium-term, there might be one or two copywriting skills at the top of your mind that you want to improve.
How should you practice writing copy? More on that in tomorrow’s letter. But in short:
- Set aside time to write
- Sign up for competitors and read their copy
- Write out proven pieces of copy in your handwriting (this one is an old tip, but my personal favorite)
Looking for something to read next? I recommended one of these articles:
Would you like to get a daily tip about consulting?
Sign up for Kai's Daily Consulting Letters to get a daily letter about marketing yourself as an indie consultant (or firm). Every day, you'll get a from me letter on how to get more clients and market yourself as an authority.
Each letter is something you can use to improve your business and:
- Get more leads
- Make more sales
- Optimize your marketing
- Tackle advanced consulting challenges
… plus, plenty of resources, guidance, and stories.
As a bonus, you'll get free access to my Premium Resource Center.
Join 8,200+ other consultants and sign up before the next tip is sent.